The Dig entered my must-listen rotation as soon as it came out. Dan brings together a mix of academics and activists, famous and unknown, extremely online and extremely off, who work on a wide range of topics from a left-wing perspective. As an interviewer, Dan is in-depth and thoughtful. And I have to say: his sonorous voice in your ear feels intimate, even relaxing. He’s the Terry Gross of the Left.
Highlights of the show thus far include:
- Barbara and Karen Fields on what’s wrong with the way we talk about racism.
- Patrick Blanchfield on the ties between American gun culture and neoliberalism.
- Catherine Lutz on how the rhetoric of “support our troops” is used to silence critiques of US empire.
- Aziz Rana on organizing the brutal contradictions of American liberty toward radical democratic ends.
- Newly elected Philadelphia district attorney Larry Krasner on ending mass incarceration.
- Glenn Greenwald on why liberals find so much solace in hysteria over Russia.
- Lane Windham on the militant 1970s labor movement you never heard about.
Subscribe to the show at iTunes, Stitcher, or Blubrry. We also host Doug Henwood’s show Behind the News, Jacobin Radio with Suzi Weissman, and post occasional audio from Jacobin events and interviews with Jacobin authors.