- Be sure to emphasize that Piketty’s conception of capital differs radically from Marx’s.
- Note that his model is fundamentally at odds with the tendency for the rate of profit to fall.
- Point out that his solution is openly reformist, and besides, would require worker militancy on a scale not witnessed in nearly a century.
- Something something law of value something.
- Okay, inequality. But then point out that he doesn’t explain it!
- Mention in an aside his affiliation to Ségolène Royale and the PS.
Feign astonishment that people care now given that he simply codifies empirically what we already knew.
- Lament his conflation of finance and industrial capitals.
- Claim that you are going to buy it, though, as “the data will be useful.”
Our new issue, “The Working Class,” is out in print and online now. Subscribe today and start reading.